This beautiful couple is my Mom and Dad.
And I know that is hard to believe by just looking at them, but they have been married for 25 years. Today is their anniversary, August 2. So because my mother has always been so against the thought of ever being the honored guest of any celebration, my gift to you on this special occasion are all of my thoughts and love that I fail to express in words so often. This blog is to honor you both, to let you know how much I respect and love you, and to say how thankful I am that God gave me parents that I am so unworthy of calling my own.
Dad
There are so many things about you that I have always been so proud of. Let me start with the least "important" to my "favorites".
To begin...
1. Is it okay that I think my own Dad is attractive? I really did not come up with this on my own. I was conditioned to believe it from a young age, when people (more specifically girls that were supposedly my friends) began telling me that I had a "hot" dad. The believed-to-be compliment continued on and on until today, and some where along the way I started thinking it for myself. Maybe the real shift was when I noticed that he had a striking resemblance to Bruce Willis? Put two and two together and BAM! You realize you have an attractive father.
2. I love how hard my dad works:). But what I love even more is how good he is at stopping his hard work. At the end of the day, Dad gives his undivided self to his family, calls quits to the day of work, and spends quality time hanging out with us kids. Sure I know he has a boat load of paper work and other junk that needs to be done in his office, but he would RATHER be with us. This speaks so loudly to me, that my dad loves me! Thanks for working so hard, but knowing how to stop and be present with your kids. I believe this is a rare gift in fathers.
3. I think my dad would have made the best professor. To sit in a lecture hall that has an entire lecture divided with breaks of the most fascinating, interesting stories, and then, having the instruction time so clear, precise, thorough, and comprehendable. It would be perfect! By far my favorite class, regardless of the subject. My dad has taught me so much from monumental things like how the decisions I make today will effect tomorrow, to how to drive a car. I will never forget my first "big life" conversation with my dad. I was probably only in fourth grade and dad was using the patch seams of my bed quilt for the train tracks of the engine I was riding on. They were, of course, the train tracks of my life, and every decision I made would steer the train in another direction. Great analogy for a fourth grader! But what this story (of dad talking with me) shows best is the way he instructs. This is my favorite thing about my dad, even if I don't always show it. My dad is actively instructing, guiding, teaching, motivating, directing his kids. It may just be in something small, like how you should have grilled the steaks, but even better is when it is in the big stuff, like what is life and how should we live it. He is always answering that question, in the stories he tells and in the things that he does. I love this about you dad.
Mom
Just so you know, I think you are just as beautiful as I think dad is attractive (maybe more), but I don't feel like devoting a number to that. Mainly because I picture you reading it and feeling really awkward that I wrote something like that for others to read:).
Here's what I love about my mom...
1. My mom would drop anything for you! She cares so much for her kids that when they need something, trust me she is there. Now I know, you could easily think that this is bad for us kids, that she is crippling us or making us too dependent on her. But that is what is so amazing about her. Although we know she is there for us, somehow she has done so well as to "cut the cord" and make us independent. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that she never babied us when we got sick. :). But what I think is likely the cause is how she has raised us to think that we are capable to do things. You want to wake up early? You can do it, just commit to it, toughen up! Want to have a clean house? Think of your husband, serve him. You can do it! Want to have a natural birth? I did it. Don't you want to compete with me:)... Want to run a half marathon (even though you suck at running)? Do it! Make it fun, run with a friend. I am doing it and I am 25 years older than you. Mom has so much positive energy that is motivating and contagious! Thanks for encouraging us to just do things, and pushing us to be independent.
2. My mom says sorry. The most humbling thing is when you know that you have sinned against your mom, and you have an encounter with her, and she disciplines (or now discusses) it with you. And perhaps, even though you deserved it, she was kinda of hard on you. My mom would come back and apologize. Isn't that so humble of her? And there have been a few times where she has hurt my feelings or maybe been wrong (this is very rare, honestly) but she will actually verbally and sincerely say to my face 'I am sorry'. Thanks for being humble mom and always wanting to make things right.
3. I love the way my mom interacts with me, but my favorite thing that I have learned from my mom is how to interact with others. My mom has always taught me from little on up to love the underdog, to watch out for them in school, and to become friends with them. I remember my Dad teaching me (see #3) through my mom actions, he said "Livvy, have you ever watched your mom in church? Look at who she is taking with. Pay attention to how she converses with others. Your mother is amazing with people." And so I did. From that moment on I started to watch my mother carefully. And as I grew I learned so much, but I also began hearing more from others how this quality was very real. I can't even count how many people have said to me how much they love my mom, or that they thought she was so cool, or how she listens so well, or how your mom has so much wisdom. Mom thanks for your example of warmth and love towards people.
Together
Together I love you both even more. Cause what would dad be without mom and mom without dad? Together you guys are even more loveable, more interesting, more fun, and more energy:)!!
And I love you...
Liv
=)
ReplyDeleteThis was beautiful & fun to read, Liv! I agree with you that you have awesome parents...so fun and yet wonderful examples of God's children.
ReplyDeleteWow, what an amazing post about two amazing people! As a Mom nothing would mean more to me than my kids saying this stuff about me. Incredible!
ReplyDeleteI can attest to your Mom being so wonderful to me when we move to WL. I knew no one and she was so kind to me. It meant the world to me. And the fact that they had us over for dinner one night?...it meant SO much. I still remember dinner at your parents house that night and how welcoming they were and made us feel like part of the family.
Congratulations on 25 years to a wonderful couple!