Sunday, July 7, 2013

How Brett Would Put It...

I vowed never to own a dog unless we lived on 10 acres. 

BUT...
1 dead snake later
+
1 caught baby Cobra in the house next door
+
1 week old news of a Thai boy dying of a baby cobra bite hiding in his shoe
+
2 highly concerned Thai neighbors
+
1 set of highly encouraging grandparents
+
1 anxious mother every time Obie is in the yard
+
a lack of any other consistently certain snake-proofing solution
=
We got a dog... 

You just have to weigh the cons vs. cons- posionous snake that kills its victim within 30 mins of a bite
vs. 
Dog poop

We went with the dog poop.

(for more details read below...)




Our Siberian Husky-German Shepard named- "Bear"

Snake hunting...



 Obie and bear at play...



Our neighbor husky dogs love her!
 



Brett and I were literally in shock all last week. So the truth is going to come out now, but I think it is okay because I now am a dog-owner myself. I have never owned a dog (well we did have a stray for 2 months). I am the girl who has truly disliked dogs, to the point to doing a double take of someone once I find out they own a dog. Oh boy, and now I am the girl with the dog! After buying this dog I had to ask my mom if it was okay to like dogs, or if there is something wrong with "liking dogs".

After getting the dog Brett failed to smile for at least 2 days, I was try to stay on the bright bubbly side of things. We bought it on a Tuesday and that friday I literally lost it in a hyperventilating giggle (you know what those look like?... me laughing uncontrollably?). By God's providence we happen to be hosting a real "dog lover/trainer/actually implements the books" kind of man. Upon our request (and us easily convincing him through conversation that we knew NOTHING of dogs) he started into some of the basic things you train a dog to do: come.sit.stay.heel.........eh?...excuse me... heel? I know I am the being the embarrassing "stupid wife" right now, but I have heard "heel" many times in my life, but I really actually don't know what it is?  Brett, who would never make me look too stupid in public, but will still, quickly, be the first to inform his uneducated wife said, "It means stop." But as he begins his answer, so does the man with the true expertise...."It is when you have the dog walk parallel with you, not ahead or behind." he finishes his explanation, ignoring brett's wrong answer. 

And that is when I lost it.

I went hysterical in laugher and then put my head down on the table and shook for another 5 min. We truly are insane! We really do know nothing of dogs! We are crazy! What on earth will we ever do! 

It feels good to laugh...

and although it appears insane, and sometimes feel insane, I think we made a very logical decision.













3 comments:

  1. He's really cute. I'm not a dog-lover either, but I think you made a good decision. :) And I'm sure he'll be a very faithful and protective friend for Obie. Good to hear from you guys! (all FIVE of you) :) hehe

    Love,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw he is a cute dog--but I totally relate with the lack of desire for a dog. :) Sounds like you made a smart decision. Snakes like that would totally stress me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Liv. I am sure you will soon not imagine life without Bear. We have two dogs here, nearly drive Jon crazy with their nighttime barking but I really like it keeps the intruder factor down, so I don't mind.

    ReplyDelete